ISSX Travel Grant Program
Call for Applications
We are pleased to continue the ISSX Travel Grant Program which is funded by the Society in part through member contributions. This program is in place to help selected applicants participate in our meetings.
It is important to note that the award amounts will likely not cover all expenses but rather will supplement the recipients' other sources of funding.
Nominations for ISSX Travel Grants for the 21st North American ISSX Meeting were due July 7, 2017 and the call for applications is now closed.
If you have any questions regarding the nominations process you are welcome to contact ISSX at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at + 1 (202) 367-1182.
- Applicants must be a current member of ISSX with dues paid in full
- Applicants must submit an abstract before applying for a travel grant
- Travel grant recipients must present a poster at the meeting (funds are provided after the meeting to ensure this)
- Applicants from designated countries are given priority
- Applicants who are students and postdocs are assigned higher priority than more senior members
- New applicants are assigned higher priority than those who have received a travel grant previously. While we may offer support to an applicant who has received a travel grant before, preference is given to those who have not received funding within the last three years.
- Evidence of active involvement in or contribution to Society activities (e.g. active recruitment of new members) may be an advantage
- Special needs as outlined in a letter of support may be advantageous
- The request should be reasonable. If expenses appear excessive, estimated costs will be moderated and a revised total used for deciding on funding allocated.
General Principles of Funding
We propose to give varying amounts to applicants based on needs and other factors. The same amount may be given within a category, such as "students from the country where the meeting is being held" or "scientists from disadvantaged countries."
All applicants must be ISSX members (or at least be applying for membership at the same time as submitting their application) and must submit an abstract. Non-members will be asked to join as a condition of receiving funding and funds allocated will be reduced by the amount of the membership fee.
The amount allocated will be based on “reasonable” expenses, adjusted if necessary from estimates provided by applicants. We will try to help someone attend, not pay their entire expenses. This recognizes that if we offer too small an amount, sometimes the member is still unable to make the trip, so we try to ind a balance.
We will try to help those who have other sources and need an extra amount to make it all possible. After initial notification of funding, we ask all grant recipients to confirm their participation after finding out how much of a grant they will receive. We understand that some may ultimately not be able to accept the travel grant because the funds they receive from ISSX, plus those they can (or in some cases cannot) raise from other sources, will be insufficient to allow them to attend.
Depending on the number of confirmations we receive, we will try to reallocate any residual funds to help these applicants; however, it is unlikely that we will be able to make up the full amounts requested.
Nominations will be reviewed by the Society Membership Affairs Committee. The committee will select the travel grant amounts and all applicants will be contacted with results of the selection by July 21, 2017.